Requesting technical support from Harris Geospatial (VIS) - FAQ
When you encounter a problem or have questions concerning IDL, ENVI, or other Harris Geospatial products the following information is useful to provide so that we can quickly address your inquiry.
What information do I need to send?
Sometimes, a problem only occurs when running on a certain machine, operating system, or graphics device. For these reasons, providing the following information can be very useful:
- Your installation/license ID number.
- The version of IDL or ENVI you are running.
- The type of machine it is running on (Windows, Mac, Linux, UNIX).
- The operating system version it is running under and whether it is 32 or 64-bit.
- The type and version of your windowing system if you are on Linux/UNIX.
- The graphics device, if the problem involves graphics and you know what graphics device is on your system.
What additional information do I need to send?
When describing the problem or question you have, please be sure to include specific error messages and steps to reproduce the problem. If you are working with IDL code, a small reproduce case is very helpful for our engineers to test. If working with specific types of data or images, describing the data format and providing a sample dataset may be requested. Larger data samples (>5mb) can be uploaded to our ftp site at:
What other resources can I use to solve my problem?
The Release Notes that accompany each release include information about new features in that release, bug fixes, and known problems, which may be of help. In addition, the IDL and ENVI help systems can also be a good source of information for questions about functionality.
How do I contact Technical Support?
To report a problem to Harris Geospatial Technical Support in the U.S., contact us through the following information.
Or locate the Exelis VIS international office or distributor office for your region.
Web Support Form
Web technical support request form
Reviewed 9/10/2014 KK; 3/16/2016; 6/1/2016 kk